Meat the Truth is based on the most recent scientific research on climate change and livestock production. For the making of this film, many influential research reports, statistical data and other scientific sources were meticulously studied by researchers of the Nicolaas G. Pierson Foundation and the VU University Amsterdam. In this way, a film was produced that could stand the test of scientific criticism with flying colours.
Aiking, H., De Boer, J. & Vereijken, J.M. (eds.) 2006. Sustainable protein production and consumption: Pigs or peas? Environment & Policy Vol. 45. ISBN 1-4020-4062-8. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
De Boer, J., Helms, M. & Aiking, H. 2006. Protein consumption and sustainability: Diet diversity in EU-15. Ecological Economics 59, 267-274.
EUROSTAT. Llorens Abando, L. & Martinez Palou, A.M. 2006. Main stages in the meat food chain in Europe. Eurostat report 6/2006
FAO. 2006. Livestock’s long shadow. Environmental issues and options. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome
McMichael, A.J., Powles, J.P., Butler, C.D. & Uauy, R. 2007. Food, livestock production, energy, climate change, and health. The Lancet 370(9594), 1253-1263.
Milieu- en Natuurplanbureau. 2007. Nederland en een duurzame wereld: armoede, klimaat en
biodiversiteit. Tweede Duurzaamheidsverkenning, Bilthoven
Naylor, R., Steinfeld, H., Falcon, W., Galloway, J., Smil, V., Bradford, E., Alder, J. & Mooney, H. 2005. Agriculture: Losing the links between livestock and land. Science 310(5754), 1621-1622.
Pimentel, D. & Pimentel, M. 2003. Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 78, 660S-663S.
Reijnders, L. & Soret, S. 2003. Quantification of the environmental impact of different dietary protein choices. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 78(3), 664S-6668.
Rougoor, C. 2007. Factsheet ‘Gezonder eten kan klimaat helpen’. CLM Onderzoek en Advies
Smil, V. 2000. Feeding the world: A challenge for the twenty-first century. ISBN 0-262-19432-5. Cambridge (Mass.), USA: MIT Press.
Steinfeld, H., Gerber, P., Wassenaar, T., Castel, V., Rosales, M. & De Haan, C. 2006. Livestock’s long shadow: Environmental issues and options. ISBN 978-92-5-105571-7. Rome, Italy: FAO.
Van der Pijl S, Krutwagen B. 2001. Domeinverkenning Voeden. (Exploration of the Food Domain.) Den Haag, Netherlands: Schuttelaar en Partners.
Organisations and Institutions
The following list shows the scientific institutions, governmental bodies and other organisations both in the Netherlands and abroad , which were consulted during the making of the film.
- Department of the Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, USA
- Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development of the European Union, Brussels, Belgium
- EC Joint Research Centre, Brussels, Belgium
- Ethical Vegetarian Alternative, Gent, Belgium
- Eurostat, Brussels, Belgium
- Food and Agricultural Organisation of the UN (FAO), Rome, Italy
- Health and Consumer Protection Directorate General of the European Union, Brussels, Belgium
- Humane Society United States, Washington DC, USA
- Institute of Public Health, Cambridge, UK
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Tsukuba, Japan
- PETA, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
- United Nations, New York, USA
- World Health Organisation (WHO), Geneva, Switzerland
- World Cancer Research Fund, London, UK
- World Watch Institute, Washington DC, USA
- Agricultural Economics Research Institute (LEI), The Hague
- Centre for Agriculture and Environment (CLM), Culemborg
- De Kleine Aarde, Boxtel
- Dutch Dairy Board, The Hague
- Dutch Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, The Hague
- Dutch Vegetarian Society, Amsterdam
- Dutch Soya Coalition, Amsterdam
- Erasmus University, Rotterdam
- VU University, Amsterdam
- Friends of the Earth Netherlands, Amsterdam
- Institute for Environmental Studies, VU University, Amsterdam
- McDonalds Netherlands
- Meat Information Bureau (Voorlichtingsbureau Vlees), The Hague
- Milieucentraal (Environment Central), Utrecht
- Ministry for Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality, The Hague
- Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, The Hague
- National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), Bilthoven
- Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis (CPB), The Hague
- Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Bilthoven
- Netherlands Nutrition Centre, The Hague
- Netherlands Society for Nature and Environment, Utrecht
- Product Boards for Livestock, Meat and Eggs, The Hague
- PROFETAS, Amsterdam
- Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute, De Bilt
- Statistics Netherlands, Voorburg & Heerlen
- Wageningen University and Research, Wageningen
- Wakker Dier, Amsterdam